Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chili Love

Today, I made my best pot of chili ever:

1.5 pd ground sirloin
2 medium onions
5 cloves garlic
3 peppers: yellow, red, green

chili powder to taste
cumin to taste
salt to taste 
2 15 oz. cans small fancy red beans
1 quart stewed tomatoes

I used my crock-pot pot on the stove top to brown  the beef.

Drained it on a paper towel while I food-processored the onions and garlic.

Sauted them in olive oiled crock-pot pot while I food processored the peppers (side note: at first, I feared this had been a mistake, as they quickly liquified, but in the end, I think this deepened the flavor. Or maybe that's nonsense).

Added the peppers to the onions for a few minutes before adding the chili powder and cumin.

Then I moved the pot into the crock-pot cooker thing and added the beef (sans excess fat), beans, and tomatoes. A little more salt. And cooked it on low for 6 hours.

Lo and behold, it was hearty and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment